Re: Handling Daylight Savings - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Handling Daylight Savings
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 01:54:39PM -0600, Walker, Jed S wrote:
> I am wondering how daylight savings is handled by PostgreSQL. We are
> timestamps with time zones, and are wondering if it's possible to
> specify a timezone as ET instead of EST or EDT. Do we have to know when
> daylight savings occurs and change our timezone settings on our own?

See "Date/Time Types" in the documentation for the version of
PostgreSQL you're using.  Here's a link for the latest version:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/datatype-datetime.html

PostgreSQL 8.0 comes with its own timezone database.  Earlier
versions rely on whatever the operating system provides.

--
Michael Fuhr