Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 03:01:31PM -0500, Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com wrote:
> I'd start by comparing the /etc/nsswitch.conf files on the various
> machines.  If the second column contains "files" for passwd and hosts on
> the fast machines, and "dns" on the slow machine, then change the slow
> machine to "files" and see if it speeds up.  That's an easy way to rule out
> or condemn DNS.

The information we've been given suggests that the same version of
psql behaves the same on different machines, and that different
versions of psql behave differently on the same machine.  If that's
the case, then such behavior isn't easily explained by differing
nsswitch.conf configurations.  Even if mucking around with nsswitch.conf
did appear to fix things, we'd still have the mystery of why the two
versions of psql behave differently.

--
Michael Fuhr