Re: Upgrading from 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Upgrading from 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 05:13:01PM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
>
> >The implicit indexes are no big deal; they're just a sign of indexes
> >getting created by PRIMARY KEYs on your tables.
> >
> >I'm not sure why you're getting errors. Is there a reason you did the
> >schema dump separately from the data dump rather than a monolithic
> >dump/restore?
> >
> I seem to remember encountering an issue some time ago with pg_dump
> dumping tables in an order that prevented them from being reloaded.

This problem is solved in 8.0's pg_dump.  Not sure if 7.1 has enough
information in catalogs to make the algorithm run correctly -- I wonder
if pg_depend is needed, because AFAIR there was no pg_depend in 7.1.

"The Gord often wonders why people threaten never to come back after they've
been told never to return" (www.actsofgord.com)