Re: A couple of patches for PostgreSQL 64bit support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: A couple of patches for PostgreSQL 64bit support
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hans-J|rgen Schvnig <postgres@cybertec.at> wrote:

> 64-bit XIDs seem to be an overkill - the only practical impact I can see
> is an even larger tuple header (this can be an issue on large boxes too
> - at least compared to Oracle).

I agreed, too. The changes of XIDs cannot be ignored because the overhead
will be 32bytes per tuple.

Avoiding overheads, can XIDs/CIDs be different bit length? For example,
can XIDs/CIDs be changed to 48/16-bit or 40/24-bit?

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Cyber Space Laboratories