Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector
Date
Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:13:20PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > In fact, if it wasn't started from the beginning, we couldn't enable
> > > query strings without restarting the server.
> >
> > That's true -- if you start with the collector disabled, you can't
> > enable query strings.
>
> OK, but if all the stats* variables are off, what overhead is there in
> having the stats process run?  I would think very little, and if we turn
> it always on, we make configuration easier and remove a GUC variable.

What about arranging postmaster's main loop so that it starts the stats
collector process if one of the options is activated (assuming they were
all off at start)?  Right now you have to restart the server, but I
don't see why it has to be like that.

That has even less overhead.  We will have to keep the GUC var, but I
don't think that's too onerous, is it?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"Granting software the freedom to evolve guarantees only different results,