Re: WAL bypass for CTAS - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WAL bypass for CTAS
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:55:12PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> I put those changes in mainly for COPY. If you don't make any request at
> all to FSM then a relation never gets to the MRU relation FSM list. I
> agree that it is not strictly necessary, but leaving it off would be a
> change in behaviour, since COPY did previously cause the relation to get
> to the MRU. That could be a problem, since a relation might not then be
> allocated any FSM pages following a vacuum.

Is that a problem?  If the pages don't fit in FSM, then maybe the system
is misconfigured anyway.  The person running the DW should just increase
the FSM settings, which is hardly a costly thing because it uses so
little memory.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"No renuncies a nada. No te aferres a nada."