Re: default database creation with initdb - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: default database creation with initdb
Date
Re: default database creation with initdb  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-patches
On Saturday 18 June 2005 04:55, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Umm. Tiny item, but your comment still refers to the database as
> > pg_system ;-)

What is the purpose of this database? A generalized, shared resource for tool
makers and add-on packages to store information in PostgreSQL, or a working
database that is usable (and to be used) out of the box for new users?  I
really don't think we want the latter... I can see users connecting via psql
and then playing around with different add/create type statements.  It is all
too common a question from newbies... "does postgresql have a default
database to get started with?" They'll see this database and begin creating
schema and using this as thier main database, and I think we ought to avoid
that. If people don't like pg_system, pg_addons seem like a much safer name
to go with imho.

--
Robert Treat