Re: ON COMMIT and foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ON COMMIT and foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-patches
FYI, this was already applied:

            * doc/src/sgml/ref/truncate.sgml, src/backend/catalog/heap.c,
            src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c, src/backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c,
            src/backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c, src/backend/parser/gram.y,
            src/backend/tcop/utility.c, src/include/catalog/heap.h,
            src/include/commands/tablecmds.h, src/include/nodes/parsenodes.h,
            src/test/regress/expected/temp.out,
            src/test/regress/expected/truncate.out,
            src/test/regress/sql/temp.sql, src/test/regress/sql/truncate.sql:
            Generalize TRUNCATE to support truncating multiple tables in one
            command.  This is useful because we can allow truncation of tables
            referenced by foreign keys, so long as the referencing table is
            truncated in the same command.

            Alvaro Herrera

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> There's a bug with temporary tables signalled ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS,
> when they contain foreign key references.  An example:
>
> alvherre=# begin;
> BEGIN
> alvherre=# CREATE TEMP TABLE foo (a int PRIMARY KEY) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "foo_pkey" for table "foo"
> CREATE TABLE
> alvherre=# CREATE TEMP TABLE bar (a int REFERENCES foo) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
> CREATE TABLE
> alvherre=# COMMIT;
> ERROR:  cannot truncate a table referenced in a foreign key constraint
> DETAIL:  Table "bar" references "foo" via foreign key constraint "bar_a_fkey".
>
> Say again?  Certainly this shouldn't happen, because both tables are
> supposed to lose rows on transaction commit.  But this isn't working.
>
> The attached patch fixes this bug.  (In all likelyhood, not a lot of
> people uses referential integrity on temp tables, and that's why this
> hasn't been reported.  But it's a bug anyway.)
>

> Incidentally ("collateral damage"), the patch modifies the TRUNCATE
> command so that it can work on multiple tables.  In particular, if
> foreign key references are all internal to the group that's being
> truncated, the command is allowed.
>
> There's one thing that bothers me on this patch: the fact that
> pg_constraint has to be scanned multiple times, and they are all
> seqscans.  Not sure what to do about that.  Maybe there's a way to do
> better?
>
> Also, observe that when the TRUNCATE operation is aborted because of a
> foreign key, a HINT is emitted as well telling the user to truncate the
> referencing table too.  This is IMHO a good hint, but it may be
> misleading when the truncation has taken the ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS path.
> Not sure if it's worth fixing (maybe the hint should suggest to add ON
> COMMIT DELETE ROWS to the referencing table as well?).
>
> Please have a look.  The patch is not as intrusive as it looks; there's
> a lot of whitespace change.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]dcc.uchile.cl>)
> "Ellos andaban todos desnudos como su madre los pari?, y tambi?n las mujeres,
> aunque no vi m?s que una, harto moza, y todos los que yo vi eran todos
> mancebos, que ninguno vi de edad de m?s de XXX a?os" (Crist?bal Col?n)

[ Attachment, skipping... ]