Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Dave Page wrote:

> The major problem that I've learnt over the last few years of running
> the pgAdmin project, and to a lesser extent working on the pgweb stuff
> is that asking for a full featured solution from people from the outset
> normally ends up putting them off unless they are *really* enthusiastic.
> Now I'm not saying that Gevik isn't enthusiatic but I can only think of
> 4 people I'd put in that category in the 8+ years I've been around here.

Is there any reason why one of the existing CMSs can't be setup for
techdocs?  Someone mentioned Bricolage, someone else Framewerk(sp?) ...

I think what Josh is getting at here is that we are looking at the end
goal, but not looking at the solution to get us there ... right now, what
I'm seeing (and I think Josh is too) is "let's build from scratch, we'll
do the mark up ourselves, and then later, let's add in the functionality
so that others can do it" ...

If we *started* with a proper CMS for this, instead of trying to arrive at
it in the end, migrating techdocs will be *alot* easier, and faster, since
we could very easily get 'non-programmers' involved ...

From what I undetand, based on requirements (namely, mirrors), I think
Bricolage offers everything that we require, and I believe that David
Wheeler has offered, in the past, to help get things up ... again, this is
based on just what I've read/heard, but I *believe* Bricolage provides the
admin front end, and the actually 'live content' gets physically dump'd to
files on the front end server ... Zope doesn't do this, as far as I'm
aware, Framewerk might ... ?

----