Re: db corruption/recovery help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed L.
Subject Re: db corruption/recovery help
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday June 6 2005 11:15 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's possible that you are one minor release short of having
> dodged this problem, as I see in the 7.3.5 CVS log
>
>     * src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c (REL7_3_STABLE): Force
>     zero_damaged_pages to be effectively ON during recovery from
> WAL, since there is no need to worry about damaged pages when
> we are going to overwrite them anyway from the WAL.  Per
> recent discussion.

I remember all too well.

> This doesn't really address the question of how the page
> header got clobbered in the first place, though.  Did you by
> any chance make a dump to see what data was in there?

Well, I do have a copy of the corrupted database/file, if that's
what you mean.  I rebuilt 7.3.4 source (which I don't normally
delete) so I could build pg_filedump 2.0, but then pg_filedump
wouldn't build.  Not sure why; I didn't have the luxury of
digging deeper.  Maybe I can find a pg_filedump laying around
somewhere here, or sort out the build issue...

Ed