Re: Network Storage Devices / NFS ... - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Network Storage Devices / NFS ...
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:19:38PM -0300 I heard the voice of
> Marc G. Fournier, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> Anyone actually dealing with a configuration using this for your
>> data drives?  I'm looking for more details on what exactly they are
>> using for the NFS server, but I have a client reporting that their
>> pg_xlog directory is *full* of .nfs* files that are 'months old' ...
>> I'm suspecting that this is some sort of temp file that the NFS
>> itself is creating, and is safe to just delete, but am wondering if
>> someone out there knows more definitively ... ?
>
> As I recall, that's a side-effect of deleting files on NFS, because of
> the statelessness.  If one client has a file open, and another client
> deletes it, or two processes on the same client have it open and
> deleted respectively, or something on the server...   I can't remember
> which case it is.  But they're renames of files that were "deleted".
> If nothing has them open (fstat or lsof or something) they should be
> safe to delete (but don't blame me if it blows up!).

This is what I was thinking two (around safeness to delete) ... to be
absolutely certain, doing a quick maintenance shutdown for the postmaster,
remove all .nfs* files and then restarting should be safe too ...

Sound about right?

----