Enabling WAL with Postgres 8.0 for Windows - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Launen
Subject Enabling WAL with Postgres 8.0 for Windows
Date
List pgsql-novice

Following the instructions from the Postgres doc, I’ve been attempting to enable WAL logging for Postgres running on a W2K machine.  It appears to be correctly configured, as the logs are automatically being copied to my archive location.  However I’m unsure how I backup the ‘data’ directory on a windows machine without have open file errors (as documented as step 3 for enabling WAL):

3.       Perform the backup, using any convenient file-system-backup tool such as tar or cpio. It is neither necessary nor desirable to stop normal operation of the database while you do this.

After completing all five steps, and restarting the server, the database is corrupt and unsable.  Does anyone have any documentation or assistance for enabling WAL on Postgres 8.0 running W2K?

Thanks.

David