Re: Fix for cross compilation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Fix for cross compilation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Am Montag, 30. Mai 2005 20:11 schrieb Tom Lane:
> > The problem is that the program zic in src/timezone/ is built and run
> > during the build process, which doesn't work if it's compiled by a
> > cross-compiler.
>
> Why don't we instead arrange to run it during install?

It does currently run during the install.  How does that help?

> I'm not real thrilled with the notion of trying to use a zic built by a
> different compiler; I think that will lead to all sorts of problems,
> considering that the files it's meant to write are binary and
> at least potentially architecture-specific.  Also there's the problem
> that it is reading a pg_config.h that is definitely platform-specific.

Well, that is true.  Bummer.

> BTW, the truth of the matter is that we've never supported
> cross-compilation; see all the AC_TRY_RUN operations in configure.

They all have (or should have) fall-back values for cross-compilation.  Else,
those who complain about zic would have never gotten there.

--
Peter Eisentraut