Re: US Goverment and Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: US Goverment and Patents
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
FYI, I've included an excerpt of a thread of a government mail list that I
belong to. It talks about patents too.

Today's Topics:

   1. Stallman talks about Nokia's Patent announcement (michael)
   2. 10,000 M$ Millionares (michael)

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:42:34 -0600
From: michael <michael@canopener.ca>
Subject: [discuss] Stallman talks about Nokia's Patent announcement
To: discuss@canopener.ca

good overview of recent Corp Patent situation

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/30/1155209&from=rss

"The danger of software patents is not limited to free software. Developers
 of proprietary software (and its users) can also be sued for patent
infringement. But the majority of software is private-use software, developed
for and used by one client. Its developers (and its users) also face software
patent lawsuits. This is why most businesses in Europe are against software
patents--a recent German government study found 85% opposition. But the
megacorporations are spending lots of money to lull the European Parliament
into ignoring all opinion except theirs. They frequently offer false and
irrational arguments, hoping that the legislators won't recognize the error
and that no one else will point it out to them. "

--
Michael Francis
michael@canopener.ca

Message: 2