Re: PostgreSQL release schedule - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: PostgreSQL release schedule
Date
Re: PostgreSQL release schedule
List pgsql-general
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 19:31:28 -0300,
  "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2005, James Croft wrote:
>
> >Scott Marlowe wrote:
> >>I'd go for 8.0.  It's quite stable now, and 8.1 will take as long as it
> >>needs to take to come out, which could be anything, but will likely be
> >>no earlier than the end of the year.
> >>
> >>I believe there was talk about an 8.1 coming out to replace the caching
> >>algorithm, but I believe the change was implemented in 8.0.3 or
> >>something like that, so there's no need to push out an 8.1 release.
> >
> >Thanks Scott.
>
> Estimate right now for going beta on 8.1 is July 1st ... aiming for a

Isn't that feature freeze? Typically there has been a month between
feature freeze and the first official beta.

> Sep/Oct release ... if you've been around long enough, you'll know how
> fluid our 'estimates' tend to be, but that is our current goal ...

With a July 1 feature freeze, Nov/Dec is a much better estimate of when
there might be an 8.1 release. Even that is on the optimistic side.