Re: postmaster.pid disappeared - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: postmaster.pid disappeared
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Folks,

> > > I am running postgresql 7.4.8 on solaris 10 (and I compile and
> > > installed slony). Everytime I am trying to reload the configuration
> > > using pg_ctl reload -D $PGDATA, it deleted the postmaster.pid and
> > > didn't create a new one. So, after reload, the only way I can restart
> > > the server is by kill -9 and then start the server again. I check the
> > > log, nothing is meaningful except the last line:
> > > LOG: received SIGHUP, reloading configuration files
> > > I am wondering if anybody has any idea?

Looking at his report, what's happening is that the postmaster is shutting
down, but the other backends are not ... they're hanging around as zombies.
Not sure why, but I'm chatting with him on IRC.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions