Re: patches for items from TODO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: patches for items from TODO list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> Sergey Ten wrote:
> > We think that putting it in the backend will make access from other
> > components easier.
>
> In what way?
>
> It seems to me that this can be done just as easily in a client
> application / library, without cluttering the backend with yet another
> COPY output format. It would also avoid the need to mandate a single XML
> schema -- different clients will likely have different requirements.
> Since I am skeptical of the value of this feature in the first place, I
> think it would do less damage if implemented outside the backend.

We considered putting XML in psql or libpq in the past, but the problem
is that interfaces like jdbc couldn't take advantage of it. I do think
it needs to be in the backend, and I think that is the agreement we had
in the past.

Pennsylvania19073