Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Adrian Maier (adrian.maier@gmail.com) wrote:
> Once this 'wtks' will be available,  I bet that most people who are
> aware of its existance will prefer to download it because it would
> be much more convenient.    The name of the package will need
> to be carefully chosen, though.  "wtks" does not seem to be a good
> choice  ( native English speakers surely know what is a 'kitchen sink',
> but I really don't understand what it means) .

Much more convenient for an end user who *wants* all of the PLs, and
already has all of the various build dependencies available on their
system, which, btw, I expect more will probably be added, and is
building from source.  Certainly not more convenient for the user using
a binary distribution- rather a headache if they *don't* want to
install every language interpreter that someone's made into a PL for
Postgres.

> Just wondering:  would it be feasible to expand the existing contrib
> directory to a system similar to the BSD ports collection ?
> One would type:
> cd postgresql-8.1.0/contrib/pls/pljava
> make install
> ( which would download the pljava sources from pgfoundry,
> build it and install )
>
> With such a system in place,  various modules could be installed
> in a unique manner no matter where they are hosted. And they
> would gain visibility ...

This seems a great deal like what's under discussion already, except
that it wouldn't be under the postgresql-8.1.0 source directory but
rather in a seperate module.  I don't really see much difference between
what you're suggesting and what's being proposed.
Thanks,
    Stephen