Re: [GENERAL] Interesting article on transactional algorithms includes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Interesting article on transactional algorithms includes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 04 May 2005 03:05, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Dann Corbit wrote:
> > http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~harchol/Papers/actual-icde-submission.pdf
>
> thanks, interesting analysis. I've seen many papers where PostgreSQL
> was used as a research database and wondering why we have no code
> submission from their projects. For example, materialized views in
> PostgreSQL 7.3.4 http://research.csc.ncsu.edu/selftune/, code is available,
> implementing staircase join in PostgreSQL 7.3.3
> http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/~mayers/, code is available
> abstract in http://www.ub.uni-konstanz.de/kops/volltexte/2004/1166/

One issue might be exposure to interested parties in our community. For
example, I've heard of the work on materialized views, but not the other
ones.  Perhaps all three of these links should be added to the TODO list so
people interested in such features have a good base to start from.

The other issue would be how to encourage professors/students to donate actual
code/patches back to the project, though that conversation should probably be
taken to -advocacy.

--
Robert Treat