Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Held wrote:
> > we'd need to do some wholesale revisions of internal APIs and
> > coding practices.
>
> No you wouldn't.  You could make incremental revisions that offer a
> very gentle learning curve to C++.  My suggestion is to convert the
> codebase iteratively, taking only small sure steps at each iteration.
> The internal APIs would evolve, not be overturned and replaced.  And
> the coding practices encouraged by C++ generally lead to safer and
> more readable code, but would still not prevent people from writing
> idiomatic C within C++ if they really wanted/needed to (except where
> features have been converted to C++, of course).

I think there are some features we could use in C++.  As a simple
example, "//" for comments.  Howevrer, C++ is a far larger language than
C, and I am concerned we would be unable to control which features of
C++ got into our code and which did not, leading to a slower, overly
complex, uneven hunk of code.

Pennsylvania19073