Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> > Good god - how old was that email? 2002???
>
> Yep, and been in my mailbox since then, waiting for me to process it
> into a TODO entry.

> > >     * Add tool to query pg_stat_* tables and report indexes that aren't
> > > needed or tables that might need indexes

pg_stat_user_indexes and pg_stat_user_tables aready give us this information.
Further, the newsysviews are going to fill in for the remaining missing info
(like unindexed FKs).
What other tools do we need?   If we're talking an interactive analysis tool
ala pg_suggest, isn't that being worked on .... as an *add-in*?  I don't see
any place for this in the core ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus