Windows Install - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bob Talbot
Subject Windows Install
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi

 Haven’t posted to a Postgresql thread in over 5 years, had to leave linux behind due to company Windose needs.

Now with a Windose ver. Of Postgresql I need help again.

I can’t remember some basics and my Linux docs aren’t helping.

Using the PQinstaller, and I do want to install as a server to use on network. ( W/O Win Server)

During the Service Configuration Window section An Account Name, Domain Name and a Password are created.

The installer defaults to Account Name = postgres  and Domain Name = MyDell.

Now MyDell is my computers Name.

Is there some reason the installer has chosen my Computer Name as the Domain Name and not my actual Network (Domain Name)?

Can I or should I use my actual network name?

Should the Postmaster be on a separate network?

Lastly, in windows do I use Root or do I create other users to access and create databases?

Sorry for so many questions. Windows Networking is very general on a peer to peer net work, I do not have Win Server.

However I Still have a Linux server running on network but I must get up to speed with the Postgresql Win version w/o Win Server.

sqlpython