Moving from pg 7.4/cygwin to 8, questions about pgadmin - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Jon V.
Subject Moving from pg 7.4/cygwin to 8, questions about pgadmin
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello the group,

Background: I have a pretty major problem (for me) on my hands. I've been
running PostgreSQL 7.4 under cygwin one a whole bunch of machines. One of
them, a larger box, needs to be able to handle large numbers (150+) of
connections. PostgreSQL under cygwin is limited to about 62 connections...I
didn't realize that, the box is in the field, it is turning into a Major
Issue...and I'm told to "fix it now". I'd love to....

I need to upgrade to version 8, which I supposedly doesn't have that
limitation.

My problem is that all of our support and administration is done through
pgadmin2. Pgadmin2 is awesome. Powerful, maybe a little quirky, but full of
features. PgadminIII and I aren't getting along. Honestly I think it is a
huge step backwards...no, sideways, as it has some other nice features 2
didn't...but then the first thing I tried to do (import an initial dataset)
blocked me and maybe left a taste in my mouth.

So I'm trying to come up with work-arounds. On a deadline.

I tried to get pgadmin2 to work with pgSQL 8, but it doesn't seem to want to
play along. Is it possible?
Are there other tools that can work together with pgadminIII to provide the
little stuff?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--