Re: Patch for collation using ICU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Just a comment: ORDER BY *is* already case sensitive on Linux, since
> its strcoll ignores case. I doubt very much it violates SQL
> standards.

The behavior of collation sequences is implementation-defined.  So as
long as you can put the behavior in words, it should be OK.

It would seem, however, that the behavior of a certain locale name
should be the same with or without ICU, so perhaps some locale renaming
might be needed, but that is speculation on my part.

> > How does your patch interact with the ability to use indexes for
> > anchored LIKE or regex (i.e. can "name LIKE 'start%'" still use

> The problem, AFAIK, has to do with the nature of (some) locales, not
> with a specific implementation of collation.

Yeah, pretty much the whole point of that code is to avoid collating
stuff.

--
Peter Eisentraut