Re: BUG #1552: massive performance hit between 7.4 and 8.0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: BUG #1552: massive performance hit between 7.4 and 8.0.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Brian,

> Yes, I will subscribe to the performance list, but strictly speaking the
> behaviour described should be considered a bug. The assumptions made in
> deciding what the query optimisations will be seem all skewed, and the
> end result is that the system
> isn't useful in very common cases. =/

I don't think your experience on this one query is descriptive of PostgreSQL
in general.  What I'm saying is that you most likely have a tuning problem,
not a bug.

If possibilities for improving the optimizer come out of your discussion,
well, about 1/2 of the primary postgresql programmers read the performance
list.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus