Re: General query optimization howto - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: General query optimization howto
Date
List pgsql-general
Miroslav Šulc wrote:
> is there on the net any general howto on SQL query optimizations? We
> have recently moved our project from MySQL to PostgreSQL and are
> having problem with one of our queries.

I doubt that there is a generic documentation on SQL optimization,
because this heavily depends on the particular implementation that you
are using.

> The EXPLAIN command is surely
> useful but I don't know how to read it and how to use the output to
> optimize the query so I'm looking for some intro that could help me.

You should probably start with the Performance Tips chapter in the
PostgreSQL documentation.

--
Peter Eisentraut