Re: Bumping libpq version number? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kurt Roeckx
Subject Re: Bumping libpq version number?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 04:49:23PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> In fact, based on the few complaints we have heard about the current
> situation, I am sure we are going to get many more complaints if we bump
> up the major version in 8.0.2.

I think it's better to have people complain that they should
rebuild than complaining that it's broken.

Note that you actually might force other people (OSs) to do the
transition, not to break their system.  You make it alot
easier for them if you actually do transition yourself so the
sonames do not get out of sync.  It's quite annoying that you do
not bump the soname when you should.

Kurt