Re: diference in dates in minutes - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: diference in dates in minutes
Date
List pgsql-sql
Discussions along this line should stay on the list so that other people
can learn from and add comments to the discussion.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:57:15 -0500, Joel Fradkin <jfradkin@wazagua.com> wrote:
> You sure?
> I thought date1::date - date2::date returns an integer of day's diff, but
> date -date returns an interval (least I can do a to_char on it and see day's
> hours etc that were correct.

Then your "date" column is most likely a timestamp, not a date. That is
what you want anyway if you are trying to get a time difference in minutes.
That wouldn't make much sense for dates.

> Why are they depreciating the ability to look at an interval as a string
> anyhow? Is there an approved method of looking at an interval as a string
> replacing it?

I think because the current version does some odd things and no one has put
together a spec to replace it. You can ge formatted output using EXTRACT
and suitable further manipulation.