Re: [HACKERS] Development Plans - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Development Plans
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:49:59AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have no idea how to predict what will be in 8.1.  I couldn't predict
> what would be in 8.0 until just before feature freeze, so the idea that
> we would have any clue about 8.1 is unrealistic.
>
> How do other open source projects predict these things? The most visible
> project I know that did that was Mozilla, and it was very unpredictive,
> and they had a higher percentage of paid folks than we do.

Not to sound like a broken FreeBSD drum, but they manage to do it, and
afaik a pretty good job of it.
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/todo.html is an example.
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/schedule.html is also interesting.

I suspect a big part of why/how they can do this is they have a much
larger developer pool than PostgreSQL; I believe there's over 2000
people with commit access, and there are probably 100-200 people who are
actively developing code for FBSD. But it's been some time since I
followed the details of FBSD development, so I could be way off on these
WAGs.