Re: Continue transactions after errors in psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Continue transactions after errors in psql
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:04:36PM +0100, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>
> >Michael Paesold wrote:
> >>2) Implement a server-side function to get the savepoints from the server
> >>and query that before every release.
> >
> >I could not find a way to do this. Is there any interface to the list?
>
> Alvaro suggested to implement such a function. It is not there yet. I think
> you would have to access the sub xact stack, but I have not looked into
> that code for quite some time.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-10/msg00370.php

The only problem with this idea is that the function cannot be run when
the transaction is in aborted state.  Not sure if that is a problem or
not.  What happens if the user does

SAVEPOINT foo; SLECT 1; ROLLBACK TO foo;

all in one command in psql?

I know psql sends that as three commands, so maybe it's not an issue.

"Doing what he did amounts to sticking his fingers under the hood of the
implementation; if he gets his fingers burnt, it's his problem."  (Tom Lane)