Re: MySQL worm attacks Windows servers - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: MySQL worm attacks Windows servers
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 00:34:07 -0800,
  Chris Travers <chris@travelamericas.com> wrote:

> Maybe we should set the default authentication to only use TRUST on
> local sockets only.  At least as of 7.4, the default was to trust
> network ports.

I believe the previous default was not to allow network connections
by default. For 8.0 only network connections from localhost are allowed
by default.

No one in their right mind is going to use trust authentication on
connections from random IP addresses. And in most cases they aren't
even going to allow connections from random IP addresses.