Re: Views and rules section (link provided below) - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Rob LoPresti
Subject Re: Views and rules section (link provided below)
Date
List pgsql-docs
Rob LoPresti <mooingyak@yahoo.com> writes:
> > ... I don't claim to know the best way to rewrite
the section, but I'd
> > like to put forward the suggestion that it not use
any unsupported
> > examples.

> The example *as written* works fine.  Doing other
stuff in between the
> two steps (such as loading data into the table)
isn't supported, but
> pointing that out in the rules discussion seems like
distracting
> pedantism, rather than information that's helpful
right at that point.

I made my previous post because I originally had the
mistaken assumption
that adding foreign key restraints was actually a
necessary step (in
retrospect, with a better grasp of the concepts, that
seems very silly).
While the language is clearer in the 8.0 manual (same
column list as mytab)
than in the 7.3 manual (same attribute list as for
mytab), I felt that it
might benefit from a simple warning to the effect that
*only* the columns,
and nothing else (like indexes, triggers, etc) should
be included.  I can
accept that this might be overly pedantic, but my goal
here is to prevent
someone else from making my mistake.  I have not yet
covered enough of the
manual to suggest a different place where this warning
might be appropriate,
so I regretfully can't offer any ideas on that front.

Thanks,
-Rob