Re: Patent issues and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Patent issues and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> What's really being debated here is how we can have adequate confidence
> in a change that is admittedly larger than we like to back-patch.  It's
> not an unprecedented thing mind you; we have back-patched some fairly
> large bug fixes in the past.  But it's a bit galling to be taking any
> such risk for purely legal rather than technical reasons.

How hard would it be to do as several have suggested already ... abstract
out the ARC/LRU stuff into an API?  Then, we wouldn't have to remove ARC,
per se, only shift it?  Wouldn't that be a smaller patch overall?  Then,
for our non-US users, they could continue to use ARC even after the patent
(myself included), while a plug-in replacement could be available for US
users?

----