Re: does "select count(*) from mytable" always do a seq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: does "select count(*) from mytable" always do a seq
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:23:42AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> There have been discussions in the past about why the core developers
> feel that moving visibility status into indexes would be a net loss
> on average. I don't think there has been one for a while, but you can
> try searching the hackers archive.

I wonder if a technical discussion or a link to one could find its
way into the FAQ.  Has anybody ever put together a single document
that describes in detail the issue, various proposed solutions and
their tradeoffs, and why the developers think the chosen implementation
is best?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/