Re: query rewrite using materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yann Michel
Subject Re: query rewrite using materialized views
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:06:18AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > are there any plans for rewriting queries to preexisting materialized
> > views?  I mean, rewrite a query (within the optimizer) to use a
> > materialized view instead of the originating table?
>
> Automatically, and by default, no.   Using the RULES system?  Yes, you can
> already do this and the folks on the MattView project on pgFoundry are
> working to make it easier.

I was just wondering if this might be on schedule for 8.x due to I read
the thread about materialized views some days ago. If materialized views
are someday implemented one should kepp this requested feature in mind
due to I know from Oracle to let it improve query execution plans...

Regards,
Yann