Re: Scheduler in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Scheduler in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 17 Dec 2004 3:20 pm, Marco Colombo wrote:
> Is the Oracle one _just_ that? A cron/at replacement? What about porting
> every UNIX utility to the DB engine (that would be a cross-platfrom Unix
> - wow)?
> Why don't they put web and application server functionality (apache and
> PHP) in the DB?  No, wait... ehm...  :-)

If one looks at the database and thinks, 'This is a storage engine with
programming abilities', then a in-DB scheduler isn't that much attractive
proposition.

Look at it and think 'This is an application server with flexbile data storage
engine for free' and it sounds lot more sensible.

It is all about perspective and it is not the same from one case to another.

I mean why would one write a PL/SQL application that counts to 1.3+ million
lines of code?..:-) But people do these sort of things..

 Shridhar