Re: Venezuela FOSS Forum; LPI certification; miscelanea - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Venezuela FOSS Forum; LPI certification; miscelanea
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Alvaro,

> As the subject says, I just got back from Venezuela.  I was invited to
> 'represent Postgres' at the "1st Worldwide Forum on Free Technology" (free
> translation from "Primer Foro Mundial de Tecnologia Libre"),
> http://www.tecnologialibre.org.

Way cool.   Thanks again for doing this.

>They
> want training, certification, documentation, support; and of course,
> they want it all in spanish.  I feel there's an important market here to
> be exploited; and having PDVSA among them, there's also probably a lot
> of money to be spent.

Well, you are Johnny-on-the-spot.   AFAIK, all of our Spanish community
contacts are consultants; maybe time to organize an enterprise?

> Thanks to Adi Alurkar of SourceForge fame, I had the opportunity to talk
> to Glenn McKnight of LPI (Linux Professional Institute).  They say that
> there's a definite chance to build a Postgres certification exam that
> the LPI could administrate (right verb?).  I don't have the slightest
> idea on certifications, so there wasn't much which I could ask about;
> but there seem to be a lot of people here interested in having a
> community certification program and this seems an interesting way to
> build it.

Yeah, I talked to them at OSCON.   They were supposed to follow up with me;
there was to be a specific "bonus" program where prizes would be awarded to
teams who finished crafting certification exams for important OSS projects.
(this is important because creating a good certification-exam-and-study-guide
can take about 1000 hours of work) But I've not heard since.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions