Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:08:02AM -0500, David Esposito wrote:

> According to Bruce Momjian's performance tuning guide, he recommends roughly
> half the amount of physical RAM for the shared_buffers ...

Does he?  The guide I've seen from him AFAIR states that you should
allocate around 10% of physical RAM to shared_buffers.  And this advice
goes against common Postgres folklore.  Maybe it's a document that needs
to be updated.

"There is evil in the world. There are dark, awful things. Occasionally, we get
a glimpse of them. But there are dark corners; horrors almost impossible to
imagine... even in our worst nightmares." (Van Helsing, Dracula A.D. 1972)