Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2
Date
Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:51:42PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> My suggestion: increase checkpoint_timeout to 600 secs, increase
> bgwriter parameters also, to reduce how frequently it is called, as well
> as increase the number of blocks per cycle.

Ok, here are a series of three tests varying the bgwriter_delay at 1,
50, and 100:http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/pgsql/bgwriter_delay/

I also reduced checkpoint_timeout to 600, where it was prevously at
1800 with the results I posted previously.  The throughput changes
weren't significant and the oprofile data is more of less the same.
I'll try varying the bgwriter_maxpages next (that's the number of
blocks per cycle, right?)

Mark