Re: Beta5 now Available - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Beta5 now Available
Date
Re: Beta5 now Available  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>>
>>> No you can not, but the tracker isn't very resource intesive from my past
>>> experience.  I can host it if needed.
>>

>> It wasn't that that I was thinking of ... just wondering if there was some
>> way of having it redundant, instead of centralized ... nice thing about ftp
>> mirrors, we have about 60 of them, so if one goes down, it doesn't really
>> affect anything ... from what everyone is saying, if the tracker goes down,
>> it affects everything ... seems odd to have "new technology" still having
>> single points of failure :(
>

> O.k. I know nothing of bittorrent but couldn't we just have to machines that
> are identically configured that have a round robin DNS thing going on?

we're not talking load issues this time ... the way I understand it,
bittorrent has a 'tracker' process that only one can be running on the "BT
Distributed Network" at once ... so, if the bt "central server" goes down,
the whole bt network goes down with it ...

At least, this is my understanding, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

----