Re: Documentation of server configuration - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Documentation of server configuration
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 09:20:51PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I've just spent a day working through the current set of server
> configuration parameters, and I think that the documentation at
> <http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/runtime-config.html> has
> reached its peak of unusability.

I agree it's somewhat uncomfortable.  As for unusability peak ...
I have seen worse things :-)

> I have made an attempt and reformatted the whole section into one big
> alphabetical list, and while that has obvious drawbacks, I feel that
> it's already much more usable than what we have now.

What about a sort of table of contents, grouped by section and subsection,
inside each of which there would be an alphabetically sorted list of
parameters?  Each parameter in that list, in turn, would have an xref to
its entry in the one-big-alphabetical list.

"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)