Re: [pgsql-www] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Omar,

> We believe that it is clean, professional and simple. And it makes the
> release of 8.0 actually... exciting. :)

I like the organization of content.   I find the graphics a bit HP-ish, but
that's work-on-able.  It's certainly less crowded than our current design,
and you've done a nice job making things a lot more intuitively findable.

> It is a *drop-in* replacement for the current pgweb design. No
> additional work is required to retrofit the current wwwdevel design.
> It's already done!

Keen, this makes a discussion about it more useful.   Thank you for going the
extra mile and dealing with some of the drill-down pages; it really gives us
an idea of how you envision the site being organized.

No arguments here ... see the collected archives of www.

> * The overuse of subdomains is a major pain. Each subdomain uses a
> completely different layout and design. X.postgresql.org should be under
> the relevant section on the main site. Advocacy should move under
> /about/. Developers has it's own section. Tech docs should move under
> Documentation, etc.

We've had a consolidation plan for over a year.   Really, you should engage
more of a dialoge in the WWW list and talk to us about what's already
planned.

Techdocs is one hitch; article generation/editing needs to be handled by some
kind of online text editor.   Otherwise we limit contributors to the current
WWW team and nothing gets written.

Of course, it would also be a really good idea to have any part of the site
requiring significant maintenance .... such as the list of GUIs, the
contributor list, or consulting companies ... to be editable via simple text
editor or html form instead of via raw XHTML.   This would allow the general
pool of documentation volunteers -- which is 5x large than WWW volunteers --
to maintain these areas.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions