Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I'm probably a bit more concerned about this than you are...  I don't
> want to have to post anonymously just to protect my email address...
> That is precisely why I stopped using Usenet about 5 years ago - it just
> got overwhelming...
>
> I hope the owner of this list considers this issue very carefully.. I for
> one will probably find support for Postgres through other mechanisms (I'm
> not sure what those would be yet) if what you are suggesting may come to
> pass actually does....

Actually, what is being suggested is something that has been in place for
the past, oh, 5 years now ...

> The quality of this mailing list has always been extremely high and it
> would be a real shame to lose that....

That won't change ...

> I know that I surely do not need any more spam... To say nothing of
> jerks posting infantile messages...  I have a job to do and this list
> (as it is now) is an integral part of that....

Spam is pre-filtered out of the lists ... what isn't auto-deleted by
Majordomo due to a not high enough score gets dump'd into my lap to
approve/reject according to content ... as for the infantile messages,
with or without Usenet, that is a risk, as 'forging an email' is something
that has *always* been a possibility ...

> I'm certainly trying to be open minded here, but what I've seen so far
> coming from them is not exactly impressing me and it is not too hard to
> imagine that it only will get worse from here.

You aren't seeing those participating in the pgsql related newsgroups, you
are seeing a few net.kooks on the news.groups list itself ... I can assure
you that a *very* large percentage of the postings you see come through
the mailing lists have their origin in the newsgroups themselves ...

> I'm not trying to be harsh, but a good portion of Usenet posters strike
> me as brats who don't know how to behave and whoever it is that is
> managing this "switch" has not done an adequate job of explaining why we
> should put up with them or in the alternative what is going to be done to
> keep it to a minimum (IMHO).

Since the gateway has been in place for almost half a decade now, and you
are only now seeing net.kooks that aren't posting to the pgsql newsgroups,
but are cross-posting to it based on the discussions going on as regards
formalizing the lists ... I think what is being done to 'minimize it' has
been quite effective, no?

----