Re: PostgreSQL in the press again - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:03:10AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I don't agree with this. Free software is an ideology and has nothing
> to do with wether or not it is commercial. You can have commercial
> Free Software. Red Hat is commercial Free Software as is SuSE or JBoss.

But my experience as a consumer of all of those very products has
not been what my experience of real commercial products has been.
And as I say, that cuts both ways.  (I agree that the terminology is
probably considerably less good.  Something more neutral would be
helpful.  I don't find "Open Source" any more neutral, BTW, mostly
because of the bombs that get thrown over these terms.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun