The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not compatible with this version 7.4.3. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bilicki Vilmos
Subject The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not compatible with this version 7.4.3.
Date
Responses Re: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not compatible with this version 7.4.3.  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Re: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3,  (stig erikson <stigerikson_nospam_@yahoo.se>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I have upgraded my cygwin installation and it has replaced my old 7.3
postgresql.

My questions are the following:

How can I use the old files with the newer version?
If this is not possible, how can I migrate my database to a newer version
without the old database engine?
If this is not possible how can I downgrade the postgresql to an appropriate
version? (The setup utility provides only the 7.4 version)

Many thanks for helping me,

Vilmos