Re: Anything to be gained from a 'Postgres Filesystem'? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Anything to be gained from a 'Postgres Filesystem'?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 08:58:01AM +0100, Matt Clark wrote:
> I suppose I'm just idly wondering really.  Clearly it's against PG
> philosophy to build an FS or direct IO management into PG, but now it's so
> relatively easy to plug filesystems into the main open-source Oses, It
> struck me that there might be some useful changes to, say, XFS or ext3, that
> could be made that would help PG out.

This really sounds like a poor replacement for just making PostgreSQL use raw
devices to me. (I have no idea why that isn't done already, but presumably it
isn't all that easy to get right. :-) )

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/