Re: Repeated VACUUM reports same number of deleted rows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Smith
Subject Re: Repeated VACUUM reports same number of deleted rows
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:42 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au> writes:
> > Should VACUUM report the rows as deleted or say they could not be deleted?
> > Why does it report the same information for three runs in a row?
>
> I see no pending deletions in that vacuum output:
>
> > DETAIL:  0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.

INFO:  vacuuming "filter.access_log_big"
INFO:  index "access_log_url" now contains 5159204 row versions in 74984 pages
DETAIL:  21455 index pages have been deleted, 20000 are currently reusable.

I expect that index info not to be the same each vacuum run.  Why are 21455 index pages deleted
on runs 1, 2 and 3.