Re: i'm really desperate: invalid memory alloc request size 0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Janning Vygen
Subject Re: i'm really desperate: invalid memory alloc request size 0
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Richard,

i feared all db gurus are asleep at the moment.

Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2004 10:56 schrieb Richard Huxton:
> PS - your next mail mentions sig11 which usually implies hardware
> problems, so don't forget to test the machine thoroughly once this is over.

You saved my life!! Nothing less!

This was a great help cause i never thought that it could be a hardware
problem. I took a dump from last night and tried to recover on the original
machine. it didnt work as i wrote. but when i tried to install it on another
machine it just worked fine.

So everything is up and running.

I still have all the corrupt files in place and now  i try to determine what
went wrong.

As it is obviously a hardware problem, my question is now: how can i check my
hardware (disk)?

How can i get informed next time when things are going wrong?

Ok i will come up with a lot of questions as soon as i had another coffee
because i never want to feel so helpless again.

There really should be a section in the manual like "desaster recovery" which
shows some tricks and methods.

> > pg version is 7.4.2
>
> Download 7.4.5 - that's got the latest bugfixes in it.

i will as soon as my nerves are cooling down again :-)

kind regard,
janning