Re: profile-guided opt. w/ GCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: profile-guided opt. w/ GCC
Date
Re: profile-guided opt. w/ GCC  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> The patch adds a new make target ("profile-opt") that does the PGO
> steps outlined above -- the "representative input data" is the
> regression tests running in serial mode. I haven't run any benchmarks
> yet (if someone wants to try that, I'd be very curious to see the
> results).

I doubt that the regression tests are anywhere near representative input
data.  They run a proportion of borderline and error cases that is much
higher than I would expect in normal use.

--
Peter Eisentraut