Re: Server unreliability - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Server unreliability
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> On September 29, 2004 11:09 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> ----8<----[snip]
> > jails are not the problem ... the problem is the file system we are using
>> to share applications ... but, yes, if we could put a dedicated box in
>> place, we could very easily eliminate the use of the file system ... we
>> have never had a jail related crash on those servers, they have always
>> come down to the file system itself ...
>
> Poor use of terminlogy on my part, but the net effect is the same, the FS is
> being used to facilitate the jail, take away the jail, take away the need of
> the stacked FS.

Actuallym, not true ... the FS is used to reduce the overall amount of
disk space required, since ~90% of the jail is redundant ... when I can
get a dedicated server in place, and only have the 10 or so VMs running on
it, then disk space is no longer an issue, so I can easily get rid of the
FS component ... that would get rid of the crashes ...

> *nod* In the interim there is nothing stoping getting the process
> rolling with those sites that are known to work, as well as contacting
> the mirror admins. of the unknown sites..

I think you are the only 'known to work site' ... so, if I setup a round
robin between the Panama and Canadian location for www.postgresql.org,
would you be okay with the extra load? :)  If so, I'll get to work on the
coding changing required for the DNS ...

> Specificly the program out lines at: https://www.google.com/adsense/ I
> know of a few reasonably high traffic sites that are generating about
> 5k/mth income from this program.

'k, will have to read through, but first scan, would the replace our
current search system, or would the 'Google search box' be on the right of
the screen, or ... ?  Without me reading it all the way through, do you
already know?

----